Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Good Part

It was a typical day. I was doing house work, and vacuuming up a storm. It's amazing how therapeutic vacuuming can be. :)
My mind was busy thinking over my schedule for the day.
I need to finish vacuuming this room, then move on to cleaning the bedroom.
I need to go the gym today, so I don't become a heifer.
Have we fed the animals today?
                                                                       I need to make something for dinner.
                                                                       Oh, and I need to read my Bible.
Then I heard that little voice inside of me whispering, "Martha, Martha." As I continued to vacuum,  I mulled over those age old words that Jesus spoke to Martha in Luke. It hit me that just as Martha had been distracted and too busy to sit at the feet of Jesus, I was doing the same thing. "I'll get to my Bible reading after I finish cleaning this." It had been my excuse all morning. 
My heart was so convicted, that I stopped vacuuming right there (which for my perfectionist self was a BIG deal!!), and went upstairs in my room spend some time at the Lord's feet. This is what I read:
"Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; 
and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her 
home. She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at 
the Lord's feet, listening to His word. But Martha was 
distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to 
Him and said, “Lord do you not care that my sister has 
left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help 
me.” But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, 
Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many 
things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has 
chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away 
from her.”
Luke 10:38-42
I came to see that I am just like Martha. We would have gotten along great...but we would have both chosen the wrong part.
Now Martha is not the “bad guy” in this story. Far from it! She was being hospitable by welcoming Jesus into her home. Which is what we are called to do.
“Be hospitable to one another without complaint.”
1 Peter 4:9
“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by 
this some have entertained angels without knowing it.”
Hebrews 13:2
Martha was obeying the Word by welcoming people into her home. The problem comes in verse 40:
“But Martha was distracted with all her preparations...”
The word distracted in this verse means “to be over-occupied, too busy about a thing.” Man, that is a very accurate description of the way I live most of my life. I am just so busy. So occupied. So distracted. And, like Martha, I often come to the Lord...not to sit at His feet, but to complain.
“...Lord do you not care that my sister has 
left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell 
her to help me.”
Lord, my life is hard! Look at all that I am doing...and by myself too! Don’t you care? I can’t do this alone...make her help me!! 
Jesus’ response to her is so kind, yet cuts right to the quick.
“Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about 
so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for 
Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be 
taken away from her.”
He doesn’t condemn Martha. He simply names what she’s doing. She is bothered about so many things. Then He points to Mary, the object to which Martha directed her frustration. Mary has chosen the good part. What was this good part?
“...She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at 
the Lord's feet, listening to His word...”
Mary was at the feet of Jesus, listening to His word. She realized what was necessary. What was important. And this was not going to be taken away from her.
After reading these verses, tears filled my eyes. How had I let the cares of this world, and the distractions of life keep me from sitting at His feet? What else really matters? Yes, we have to work hard. Yes, there are things in life that we have to do. That’s not even the issue here. The real question is, are you and am I putting Him first? Are we choosing the good part. The part that is lasting and imperishable. Time spend with our Lord and in His Word.
Pray that I will live this out. That no matter how crazy life gets, I will still put Jesus first. That I will just sit at the feet of my Savior. 
That I will choose the good part.

1 comment:

  1. Very good, Court. What a great reminder...

    Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete