Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Benefits of Losing

Losing your life. Being crucified with Christ. Dying to self.
I don’t know about you, but when I hear these phrases quoted from Scripture, I sometimes cringe at the thought. Something tells me that living these out is not going to be a very pleasant experience...
Is the Christian walk really that difficult? Can’t we all just be happy and always smiling...it seems to work for Joel Osteen! ;)
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that is not at all how the gospel that Jesus 
preached is described. 
“You will be hated by all because of My name...” 
Matthew 10:22
“I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are 
not of the world, even as I am not of the world.” 
John 17:14
Following Christ is not for the faint of heart. It is not always easy. Now, I am not trying to be all gloom and doom here, but this side of the gospel is so often overlooked. Why? Because it makes people uncomfortable. It’s not “happy.” It requires us take a good hard look at how we are living.
It gets back to that losing your life thing.
“For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for 
My sake and the gospel’s will save it.” 
Mark 8:35
Now, you may be more spiritual than I am, but when someone wants a show of hands of people who want to lose their life, I’m gonna keep my hands down as low as I can. But now that I am a child of God and a bondservant of Christ, this changes things. Or should.
“Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with 
its passions and desires.”
Galatians 5:24
“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives 
in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, 
who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”
Galatians 2:20
It’s no longer about me. I died with Christ. The life I am now living is not my own but is through faith in Christ. 
This is a sacrifice, yes. But when you compare it with the last part of Galatians 2:20, it seems so small in comparison. Christ Jesus, the Son of God, gave Himself up for me. Why? He loved me. He forgave the debt of my sins that I could not pay, and granted me not only complete pardon, but also eternal life.
“My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!”
Why in the world would I ever find giving my life for Him in return a difficult decision? When I see my life in light of who Christ Jesus is, and in light of the sacrifice He made for me, my life is of nothing to me. Take it all, Jesus!
Yet, this is still a daily struggle for me. Of dying to my flesh. I have to fall before Him more frequently than I’m proud of, and beg Him to change me. To make me willing to die to my flesh and desires. I had to do it tonight.
But He always helps me and hears my prayers.
“Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
Hebrews 4:16
He gave me mercy tonight. And made me willing to lose my life again, and caused this to be my heart’s prayer:
“He must increase, but I must decrease.”
John 3:30

3 comments:

  1. Great reminder.
    I know I forget all that Christ did for me. If I truly knew what it all means that as a wretched sinner He still died for me, then I think we would all bow down to Him and praise Him.
    One day we will.
    It's just sad we so often times forget the meaning behind following Christ and all that He did for us.
    Needed to be reminded that it is no longer I who live, but Him.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze me... Great wisdom and insight again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! Isn't it great to think that we are to be persecuted just as Christ was! How it certifies we are His children!

    ReplyDelete