Friday, April 11, 2014

Happy 25th Birthday Sweetheart!


This is a very special day. Today is the 25th birthday of me precious husband, Chris.



The past few days, as I’ve been anticipating his birthday and thinking about how much he means to me and how thankful I am for his life, my heart became so overwhelmed with how GOOD the Lord has been to me in allowing me to be a part of this incredible man’s life. I not only have the privilege of knowing Chris, but I get to see his character and precious heart up close and intimately every single day.

How did I get so lucky?

To describe the character my husband possesses is one of my favorite things to do. From his integrity to his honesty, the man is a rarity for sure. I have often cried in thankfulness to the Lord that I can trust my husband to be an honest man, at his work and at home. When he is given a job to do, he does it, and takes no shortcuts. He would rather work twice as long and do something right, than do a job half-way. And this is in big and small things. I thought I had integrity, until I married Chris.

(Chris hard at work painting our bathroom)

And example of this is one time he was supposed to put in a certain amount of hours on a project and had come up 15 minutes short. We were out of town at a dear friend
s funeral, so needless to say work was not our main priority. He mentioned needing to finish up that 15 minutes and I was like “Chris...it’s 15 MINUTES. It’s not that big of a deal.” and he just shook his head and said “What’s your integrity worth? Mine sure isn’t worth 15 minutes.” And I had to swallow hard, realizing just how right he was. AND HOW IN THE WORLD DID I SCORE THIS NUGGET???


(Fixing the sink late one night)

Chris is also honest. I can trust him completely. I am one of the few blessed women who doesn’t have to worry about my husband keeping secrets from me. He has told me everything about his past--from little stories that made us laugh at youthful foolishness--to things that we have both cried through because they are so heavy. And as a result he has given me a safe place to bare my heart and soul to...to show him my “ugly” and find that I am still just as loved as when he thought I was a “good girl.” We truly know each other inside and out...and somehow he still manages to love me!

Loyalty doesn’t even begin to describe Chris. I have thanked the Lord COUNTLESS times that He blessed me with a man who only has eyes for me. I know it is Divine Intervention! I have watched him countless times...just to see...and his eyes always return to me, or the floor (ha) when there is an opportunity for lust or even just curiosity. He doesn’t “window shop” while we are out in public and knowing that he is keeping his eyes on me has given me such a sense of security...I’m so thankful for a man who has trained his eyes!

I didn’t realize it at the time, but when we got married, I got a man with a huge servant’s heart. We have not even been married a year, and when most newly married men are enjoying home-cooked meals, undivided attention, fun romantic getaways and such, Chris was holding back his pregnant wife’s hair while she threw up, eating Mexican food for the 6th time that week because that’s all she wanted, having to go grocery shopping with her because she couldn’t carry the heavy bags, massaging her back for the billionth time that night because she couldn’t sleep, and not even getting to cuddle in the bed because there was no room due to the massive amount of pillows she uses. 

(massaging his pregnant wife's feet while watching football)

Throughout my pregnancy, Chris was AMAZING. And it didn’t end there...I know for a fact that I would not have survived the birth of our child if it had not been for this precious man. Through 60 grueling hours of labor, he was right there beside me, holding my hand...or more like letting me break the bones in it...and breathing calmly with me to keep me from hyperventilating. I still cry thinking about how wonderful he was. In my hardest and weakest moment, he was my rock. He told me I was so strong when I cried out “I can’t do it!” He prayed for me out loud through every contraction and it kept me from losing heart. He would cry with me when I couldn’t handle the pain, and say he was so sorry I was hurting so bad. He thanked me over and over again for being willing to do this so that our son could be born.

(our little family)

In a time that should have been the worst experience of my life, he made it beautiful. We survived that battle together and because of his precious heart and serving attitude, he made it such a beautiful experience for us both. Something that connected us deeply and something we will never forget.

So...I could keep going on forever. But I’ll end here for now. Basically, I have the sweetest, most loving, silliest, most handsome husband in the whole world, and I am SO thankful for today and for his life!

Happy 25th Birthday, sweetheart! Thank you for all you do and for all of the love you give. 

I love you more than you’ll ever know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment