Saturday, May 28, 2011

Where's Your Hope?


If you are anything like me, disappointment is something you absolutely dread. I mean, I lower my expectations to keep from being disappointed. It doesn't ever work, but I do it anyway. Go figure.
This is not a positive thing. I mean, having a "glass half-empty" view on life to avoid disappointment is not something I'm proud of. And I don't think it is something the Lord desires for me. 
"To You they cried out and were delivered; In You they trusted and were not disappointed." (Psalm 22:5)
This verse promises that if my trust and "expectation" is in the Lord, I will NOT be disappointed. What a precious promise! I cling to this verse in my times of doubt and fear. The Lord promises over and over in His Word that if my hope is in Him, I will never be disappointed.
"Those who hopefully wait for Me will not be put to shame." (Isaiah 49:23)
"For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed."' (Romans 10:11)
These verses do not imply, however, that we will never have disappointment in life. Life will let us down. When that job falls through. The death of a loved one. Rejection from someone you love. Whatever it may be, life is going to hurt. 
When this disappointment comes, where are you going to place your trust?
Will you move on to another silver lining, in hopes that this time it will work out better than last time? 
"This is going to be THE interview."
"She's going to recover."
"This time he's going to love me." 
Or will you cling to something, or Someone, who will not let you down? When the hard things in life begin to hit you, what will you turn to?
"Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me?
Hope in God,
for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence." (Psalm 42:5)
I encourage you today to hope in God. Place your trust and hope in Christ. You've got God's promise that you will not be disappointed. That's what I'm going to do. Or at least strive for. It isn't easy...I mean, it's a daily struggle for me. But it's worth it. :)
So I leave you with this:
"Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in the Lord." (Psalm 31:24)

3 comments:

  1. Courtney!! I am so very excited to have found your new blog! (I'm not sure how exactly I found it, I seemed to have stumbled on it after being on Kaysie's blog :), so happy for her!)
    This is quite a coincidence because I just started my own blog... finally, and for the same reasons it seems as you. My desire through my blog is to encourage people, mainly girls, share my honest thoughts from my journeys of life and the truths God is teaching me. But I put off blogging for so long because I did not want it to be about me. I am not anywhere near perfect, I have much to learn and grow in. But the Lord has brought me far these past couple years and has put the desire in me to share, for HIS glory.
    And I did not want to join the endless world of meaningless blogs. So I am very thrilled to find you and this new blog. And see the same desire in your heart. I would love to email and look forward to getting to know each other better through our blogs!
    I have thoughts on this particular post, but I won't make this comment any longer ;-) Your words are deep, wonderful and true. And the verses are beautiful. Thank you.
    (.... and I do hope you remember me :) It's been a long time since my family lived in TN!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so encouraging! I friend and I were just talking about disappointment this morning! We were looked at 1 Peter 2,
    "For this is contained in Scripture:
    'BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE STONE,
    A PRECIOUS CORNER stone,
    AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.'"
    It's so encouraging to know that He does not disappoint! Keep up the good writing!
    K.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia!!!
    Of course I remember you!!! How are you girl? Thank you so much for your encouraging words, and I'm so glad you understand about the whole "blog apprehension thing." :) I can't wait to get the chance to read your blog. Thanks for commenting and yes! We must keep in touch better!!

    K.P.
    Thank you very much and I am so glad you and your friend were having fruitful conversation. Disappointment is something that plagues everyone, but praise the Lord, we have a solid place to put our hope: In Christ. I love that verse in 1 Peter, thank you for the reminder and for sharing! Have a blessed day and thank you for reading and commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete