Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I Am Woman. Hear me...meow?

When someone says the word “woman” what comes to your mind? Is it a tall, slender figure, dressed in a power suit, talking into a blinking bluetooth? Perhaps it’s a woman with a muscular physique out on the basket ball court, dominating the game. Or is it the frazzled mom-on-the-go, with a baby in one hand and a skinny vanilla latte in the other? Whatever it may be, the point is: we all have our own meaning to the word woman
What’s your point? You may be wondering.
My point is, what does God want our view to be? He created us, after all. And if anyone should know what it means to be a woman, He should! 
Let’s start at the beginning. The very beginning. 
God created the whole world, this amazing beautiful and complex world. And He made man out of the dust of the earth. Take a moment to let that sink in. Dirt. We’re talking dirt here! Okay, moments over. Back to what we were talking about...
The Lord made Adam to be a keeper of His garden.
“Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.” (Genesis 2:15)
Adam had a mission and a job to do from the Lord. Adam also had to name all of the animals the Lord had created. This presented a problem. (and no, the problem is not where in the world Adam came up with the name rhinoceros! This does raise the question as to whether or not marijuana existed in Eden...)
“Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the sky, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.” (Genesis 2:19-20)
What is the dilemma here? Adam was not complete. He could not properly carry out his job from the Lord without a suitable helper.
This is where us girls come in! Woot woot! We were created for the role of helper.
For many women, this is insulting! They reason, “This is the 21st century. Women are no longer required to slave over a hot stove and have babies. Anything men can do, we can do better!”
As the Helen Reddy song goes, “I am woman, hear me roar!” We want to be strong, fierce and demand respect. Because, after all, who wants to be a doormat?
I understand these feelings, really I do. Hey, I’m a woman too. But let me say this, what we feel, is not always right. What God says is. God’s Word doesn’t change to fit the culture. And God doesn’t call us girls to be fierce lions that roar.
“Your adornment must not be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.” (1 Peter 3:3-4)
He calls us to have a spirit of quietness and gentleness. It is precious in His sight. 
So instead of lions, we have to be little kittens? No. God is not calling us girls to be weak. Have you ever tried being quiet and gentle for more than 45 minutes? It’s hard!! For me it takes more strength to be quiet and gentle, than it is to be loud and abrasive. The latter comes natural to me, it is my sinful nature. The former is only achieved through the power of the Holy Spirit. When you are walking in your God-given role, your will experience joy, contentment and a fulfillment you have never experienced before.
After all, God usually knows what He’s doing. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Look at you: the blogger! I never thought I would see the day! This site looks AMAZING! I clicked over here my mouth dropped. Good job sis! It's lovely in every way...

    Especially the message. I loved what you shared and how it pertains to our calling and womanhood. You wrote honestly and truthfully. I really look forward to reading more. (And you make me want to blog again...)

    I love you sis. And I love what I see God doing through your life.

    ReplyDelete